Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Wednesday is reading day

It's Wednesday, which seems as good a day as any to talk about what I'm reading.

I'm currently reading Freakangels, which is a free, weekly, ongoing comic written by Warren Ellis (of Transmetropolitan fame) and illustrated by Paul Duffield.


Ellis' own synopsis of Freakangels went something like this: "I've written two hundred pages and I still have no idea what it's about ... it's retro-punk, it's near-future steampunk" and involves characters who are "living in a post-flood London that they might possibly have had something to do with." Comic-con 2007


The story unfolds through a string of tales that look into the life of each of the Freakangel characters. Ellis presents his characters in a warts and all fashion, which, for me, makes them seem more real and developed than the typical comic book protagonist. Underlying the individual character stories, is the larger mystery about what has happened to the world and what involvement the Freakangels' had in the disaster.


I read the first few issues in trade paperback form, but have since been reading it online - for free! I recommend reading it in chunks, as I find with individual issues I'm just getting into the story and it's over. Freakangels is a great read, so give it go.

No comments: