Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Bring Back Jose


I love reading football banter. I can spend hours reading the Guardian, Soccernet and Football Scout. However, since Jose parted ways with Chelsea, the banter surrounding the Premiership has lost a bit of its edge.

The rivalry between Jose and SAF was the best daily soap around. Checking the news for the latest quotes from the managers was as necessary and regular as my morning coffee.

Jose departure has left a void in the football columns. As demonstrated by Rafa, none of the current managers in the league are able to foot it with SAF's trash talking ways. To add salt to the wound, the Jose / SAF rivalry has been temporarily renewed with the impending Champions League game between ManU and Inter. Unfortunately, this will only last until 11 March.

My solution is that Jose should return to the Premiership to manage City. This would undoubtedly improve the performance of City (which they need) and it would make it easier for Jose and SAF to exchange barbs, thereby increasing the entertainment value of the Premiership tenfold. It's a win, win situation as far as I can see.

For those not versed in the ways of The Special One, here are two recent quotes from the man himself and a classic to finish the post off.

Firstly, Jose on why Chelsea's performance has dipped since he left. "Why have Chelsea suffered so much since I left? Because I left." Via

Secondly, Jose on why ManU are performing well. "When I was in England, Chelsea was the best team between 2004-06. That is why we won two consecutive Premierships. Manchester United at that time realised they needed to be better to win it and, in my third season, that's what they did. And they went on to win the Champions League." Via

Lastly, on what people should think of him. "Please don't call me arrogant, but I'm European champion and I think I'm a special one." Via

No comments: